Monday, November 21, 2011

Gettysburg.

This past weekend, I went to visit by best friend at the University of Maryland. On Saturday, we spent a majority of the day in D.C. I took the opportunity to visit some national monuments- the Lincoln memorial being one- and enjoyed the area and sites.

Being the history nerd that I am, I recieve daily "This Day in History" texts from the History Channel website. Amazingly enough, on Saturday as I walked the streets of D.C I recieve my "This Day in History" text that reads, "This Day in History 1963: Lincoln delivers Gettysburg Address." I stopped in my tracks and couldn't believe the strange coincidence.

Gettysburg is known as the bloodiest battle of the Civil War; it is estimated that both sides lost around 23,000 soldiers each. Even though the Civil War was fought many, many years ago, I believe it should always be remembered:


No comments:

Post a Comment